Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Thanksgiving and the Huguenots: The Final Installment


6-20-1688

Saturday

Sunset tonight was purple.

Very pretty. I am thankful for beauty.

Hannah

6-22-1688

Monday

Longing for land are we.

We are all sick of the sea.

A sight of land would cheer us,

We know that it is quite near us.

Longing for land are we.


The boatswain (whose teaching us) told us this poem in english today. I think he made it up himself. And he made us write it down twice. He also made us write “The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dogs,” in english dozens of times! I can’t complain though, I’m learning plenty new words in english. Like “ain’t” and “fox” and “lazy” those are fun to say.

Thankful for some onto teach us English.

Hannah


6-23-1688

Tuesday

Leah's head is almost all the way better, but the first mate tells us that Ben has a ways to go.

I sure am thankful for him though.

Hannah


6-24-1688

Wednesday

LAND HO!!!!

Real live land too (As Leah says.)

Wonderfully thankful.

Hannah



6-26-1688

Friday

Landed at Plymouth harbor today just before noon. Plymouth is a lovely city. All those folks moving around every where on the docks and in the streets. Pretty noisy though.

Captain took us right into town with him and bought us some Ginger Bread Men for lunch. So all ate out ginger bread and tried to get our land legs back while we followed Captain around looking for someone to take us to Boston. He found that someone. They’re going by wagon, tomorrow morning.

I am thankful that we are going to see Papa Mama and the rest, very soon!

Hannah


6-27-1688

Saturday

We left early this morning. Every thing was wet with dew and green. We started off riding in the wagon. But the road was so rough that all the jolting and bouncing made Ben’s arm hurt and the rest of us sore. So Leah; with allot of trouble, since our driver knows next to nothing of French, asked if we get out and walk. He said yes, and nodded his head to be sure we knew what he meant. Then he told us what we all finally decided meant ‘don’t leave my sight’. So we didn’t, and he kept smiling at us to let us know that we were not doing anything we were not supposed to.

We stopped for lunch at noon. It was a good American lunch, at least that’s what Ben seemed to think. We had what our driver called “Jerky” and also bread and apple's. We tried to ask what jerky was but I still not exactly sure on all the details. It is some kind of meat though. I am pretty sure.

Went on until almost sunset this afternoon then Driver, which is what we all started calling him today, (though I think his real name is really Pete; that’s what Captain called him,) built a fire and cooked us ‘Baked Beans’ which were very good too and we had them with bread and water. And after supper Driver took out his Violin that he called a ‘fiddle’ and played us some music.

I need to go to sleep now.

I am thankful for Driver.

Hannah


6-28-1688

Sunday

Driver said we wouldn’t be traveling today. So we have read our Bible, listened to the fiddle, and played in the woods and learned some new words in English.

Today I’m thankful for the sun shine.

Hannah



6-29-1688

Monday

Jerky is made out of Deer!

We were driving late this afternoon and Driver pointed up the road and said “Deer,”. But he did not say it loudly, because he did not want to scare it away. Then he picked up his gun that was sitting beside him and shot the deer. So that is what we had for supper. there is more Jerky being made now.

Today I am thankful for good Jerky, and Driver.

Hannah



6-30-1688

Tuesday

Today has been sunny. Driver said we’ve come a ‘far piece’ as he put it, I think. I am very weary now.

Thankful for sleep.

Hannah


7-1-1688

Wednesday

Driver says we ought to be in Boston tomorrow! We are all so excited. And a bit frightened as well. But we keep reminding our selves that the LORD is in control, and there isn’t a thing in the world that happens with out his knowing about it or allowing it to happen.

I am thankful for the “New World” so that our family can come here and be able to worship the LORD freely.

Hannah



7-2-1688

Thursday

We have stopped for lunch. I am not very hungry. My stomach keeps flipping over and over. I feel kind of silly being this nervous, but then I think and maybe I have good reason to be. LORD please Help me to be calm! Please help me to trust you!

Hannah



7-3-1688

Friday

Last night as I crawled into the bed at the boarding house, crowded with every last one of my six sisters, I was about to burst into tears. Thankfully I was able to get my face into a pillow before they all came pouring out.

Thank you LORD!

Hannah


7-4-1688

Saturday

This morning Papa called us all together to have a meeting. He told us that he planed to move us all out West to a new colony of Huguenots. And we’d build ourselves a little cabin out of logs and live there. And get sheep and a cow maybe and horses to pull our wagon. Or oxen.

It’s all very exciting. The money Ben had was doubled by Cook’s salary for the voyage. The Captain made us take it. We really hadn’t wanted to. He told us to tell Papa the whole story, and to use the money to get started in America. That’s what it will be used for all right.

We are also selling most of Mama’s jewelry, that we brought for just such occasions, So Papa can get a gun and gun powder and lead and a wagon and a horse or oxen, and food for the trip. I was afraid Mama wouldn’t like to sell her jewelry at all but she seemed very willing. I asked her why it was so easy for her to give up that jewelry that had been passed down in her family for years and years and she looked me right in the eye and said.

“Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:

But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal: For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.”


When she finished saying that she had tears in her eyes and then she hugged me really tightly and said “If selling my earthly treasure will help to provide for my heavenly treasures then I’ll sell it with out a thought.”

And It was right then I realized that they had gone to all this trouble, if you want to call it that, to get us to a safe place to worship. They had done it for our souls! And that is what makes me want to cry. They love the LORD so much and they love us so much that they would do this.

Today I am thankful for Papa and Mama. Very Thankful.

Hannah









A Happy Thanksgiving To You And Yours!

No comments: