Saturday, November 20, 2010

Thanksgiving and the Huguenots: Storm and Fair Weather At Sea


6-10-1688

Wednesday

It has been quite a while since I’ve written. The Hurricane has passed. We are all still alive except for one sailor whose name was Louis. He was washed over board, and we haven’t seen anything of him since.

The last time I wrote we were all in our little cabin listening to the waves and wind and rain. All of the sudden a enormous wave hit the ship and knocked it’s on its side. That’s when Louis got washed over. It’s a wonder no one else did. Inside our little cabin the force of the water knocked open the three little shutters and let a big gush of water in the cabin. So everything got sopping wet. Including this book and our Bible. I’m very glad that I was holding on to this and Mary caught the Bible as it went flying across the room. The pitcher and wash basin went flying too as well as Ben. Actually, when I think about it, we all went flying. Rachel went flying into Ben, who went flying into the wall. Leah went flying and hit the little wash stand, and the pitcher and wash basin went flying into her. The Bible went flying to Mary and Mary to I and we all landed sopping wet. But, I think, to everyone's surprise the ship righted its self, and as soon as it had the Captain came rushing in with Mr. Hardy at his heals to cheek on us. They picked us up and told us to all sit still on the bed. Ben had hurt his arm very badly and Leah’s head was bleeding. Then they had to leave. But soon the carpenter and the first mate came. The carpenter nailed the shutters shut while the first mate, whose father was a doctor, took care of Leah and Ben. The little mirror was broken by the wave that came in, so the carpenter dumped all the big pieces over board.

We sat there in the dark waiting for the longest time. every once in a while big waves would hit the ship and it would tip on its side. But it always stood back up again. It seemed like day time never came until sometime, it must have been around noon the next day, there was a large crack of light appeared under the door where it had been a dark gray, almost black, and water had been washing in and out. We could tell because our feet kept getting re-soaked again and again. but Captain came to the door and opened it and told us to come out and the eye of a hurricane. I now take back all that I said about not thinking hurricanes are real and the name sounds silly, and that their eyes are fictitious.

The middle of that hurricane was a wonder to behold.

I think it would have been almost more than I could bear thinking about going back into it, if it weren't for the fact that I knew the LORD was watching over us. It’s even easier to say that now that the hurricane is behind us. I was worried shaking. But a day and a half latter we came out with only a few leaks and one broken mast. God was watching over us.

That’s what I’m thankful for today.

Hannah


P.S. I haven’t written in so long because this book was drying out.



6-11-1688

Thursday

We have been busy all day trying to get the ship back in order. This morning we had a sort of prayer meeting thanking God for sparring us from the storm, and also a memorial service for Mr. Louis. I’m not sure if he was a christian.

This evening Captain told us we needed to learn English because that’s what they speak in America. So we had our first lesson.

I think Ben’s arm has hurt him pretty badly today. And Leah has been walking around with her hand on the bandage on her head all day. I do pray that tomorrow is better for them.

Today I’m thankful for my siblings here with me on this ship.


Hannah


6-12-1688

Friday

I spoke a whole sentence in English today.

“Hello, my name is Hannah.”

Today I’m thankful for different languages, and that I can learn them.

Hannah


6-13-1688

Saturday

We’ve been on this ship a whole month! It does not seem as if it has been that long. In other ways it seems as if it had been longer.


Hannah



6-15-1688

Monday

Climbed into the rigging to day! I had a good time, seeing everything from so high up. Mama would have worried. I think Leah and Ben were jealous. It was a little freighting to think about falling from so high. But I kept reminding my self that if God didn’t want me to fall then their was not a thing in the world that could make me, and if God did want me to fall then there wasn’t a thing in the world that could stop me from falling. Which really keeps things nice and simple. So I am thankful.

Hannah


6-16-1688

Tuesday.

Sunny today.


It is kind of funny how I used to not think much about the weather before I came to sea. It was just “It rains today. We have got to dry the clothes in side:” or “Today it is sunny. we can hang them out side.”

I think being at sea has made me more observant. I am thankful.


Hannah


6-17-1688

Wednesday

I am not sea sick,

But sick of the sea.

Life on the ocean is not the life for me.


Thankful that we are getting close to land.

Hannah


6-18-1688

Thursday

we thought we saw some land earlier. Turned out to be just clouds. Later Mr. Hardy, and the Boatswain, told us all about how the earth is a ball, and how the earth goes all around the sun. I’m thankful that we can know about all those things.

Hannah


6-19-1688

Friday

This morning while I was flipping through Our Bible I found these verses: They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the LORD, and his wonders in the deep. For he commandeth, and raiseth the stormy wind, which lifteth up the waves thereof. They mount up to the heaven, they go down again to the depths: their soul is melted because of trouble. They reel to and fro, and stagger like a drunken man, and are at their wits’ end. Then they cry unto the LORD in their trouble, and he bringeth them out of their distresses. He maketh the storm a calm, so that the waves thereof are still. Then are they glad because they be quiet; so he bringeth them unto their desired haven. Oh that men would praise the LORD for his goodness, and for his wonderful works to the children of men!


I showed them to Mr. Hardy. He said he really liked them.

I am thankful for God’s word.

Hannah

No comments: