Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Happy Birthday, Anna



When I was a child, I was excessively stupid. I had the completely erroneous idea that every little girl needed exactly one other little girl to be her “best friend.” Some of the qualifications for this best friend were, she needed to be the same age, she must have similar tastes, she must not be a relation, and she must be at a similar stage of maturity. I shall blame this idea on Anne of Green Gables, American Girl and the like, but it really was my own fault for so blindly swallowing their portrayals of girlhood friendships with my own twists.

I had no one who fit the bill for most of my childhood so I resorted to imaginary friends, and imagining meeting the perfect girl at so-and-so future event, and later on giving up in despair of ever having a girlish confidant. Those of you who know me are probably shaking your heads wondering why on earth it took me about twelve years to figure it out.

Indeed, I was at least thirteen before I realized that I had had a sleep-over almost every single night since I was 15 months old with the perfect best friend for me. She did not fit the criteria for a best friend, so as I matured I scrapped the criteria. And, guess what, I found I have a jewel for a little sister and she made me the perfect best friend. And today is the birthday of this talented young lady.

Happy Birthday, dearest Anna, I love you.



(This is the cross-stitch I made for her birthday.)
Laura

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That is so precious Laura. It made me cry. Your relationship with Anna is how is should be.

Naomi said...

This is so sweet! Isn't it such a joy to have your sister as your very best friend?!
Happy birthday, Anna! "May the Lord bless you and keep you and make His face to shine upon you and give you peace."
In Christ Alone,
Naomi

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Anna! So good to get to see you all at the wedding the other day! Love you all!

-The Millers